Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kitty was mean mugging me.

So I went to the doctor today. Let me start by saying that I already knew that it would not be a pleasant experience because I do not like the Nurse Practitioner that I was scheduled to see. Add to it the fact that the last thing Chris said to me on the way out the door this morning was, "Maybe they will send us straight to the hospital." Have I mentioned my lack of patience? And bam, today became the longest day ever.

So, anyway, I felt like crap today. I have what feels like menstrual cramps and I am wondering with every new pain if it is supposed to be something I should know is going to happen. I keep thinking, is this a labor pain? Does this mean that it is coming soon? Is this normal? Enough to drive you crazy.

And then there is the bizarre behavior my cat has been exhibiting. I know that at this point you are thinking, "what the hell does that have to do with having your baby?" Let me explain. So a long time ago, way back in January when I found out I was pregnant, my mom asked me if my pets were treating me an differently. I thought that was weird. She proceeded to tell me that when she was pregnant with my sister, her cat started to act weird and hover around her right before she went into labor. Needless to say, for nine months, she has asked me if the pets are being strange. The answer has been a resounding no.

Until last night. So I am on the couch, and kitty, who is normally miles away praying that no one will try to pet her, decides that she needs to be on the coffee table while I am on the couch. And she is staring at me. And crying. And begging for attention. Could be explained away. It happens sometimes.

Then, when I got up several times during the night to pee, that's right, because I am nine months pregnant and have a bladder the size of a walnut, the cat was sleeping right up next to me. I have had this cat for 8 years. And for 8 years she has slept in the bedroom. And NEVER in the bed. Yet last night, she wasn't just in the bed, she was cuddled up close to me. And when I normally move, she takes off like a bat out of hell. But not this time. Instead, I have to contort my body and maneuver my giant belly around the cat because she isn't budging. When I returned from the bathroom, I had to yet again twist in a fashion that would not be comfortable even to a yoga instructor to not disturb my new best friend. And she watched me get ready this morning. She was staring me down. Little creepy.

Needless to say, the cat is bugging out, I feel like crap, and Chris has convinced me that I am birthing his child in the evening hours. So off I go to the Nurse Practitioner who, as I have already stated, is not one of my favorite people.

Without giving too much detail about how rough she was, and how uncomfortable today's appointment was, I will say that the news is good. So, I am 90% effaced and almost 3 cm dilated. Yay!!!!

Umm, but here's the thing, she also said she scraped my membrane. Sounds gross, but it is supposed to try and help bring on contractions. But now it is hours later and......nothing. A big fat nothing. (Have I mentioned that I don't have much patience?) It makes me feel a little like a failure. Which is totally ridiculous because I am not even due until October 4th. But if you put together all of the pieces of the puzzle that I had, you would have convinced yourself that I was, in fact, going to be a mother today.

Oh, nah.

So, here is to good news and hopes that before the weekend is out I will have a living, breathing Kate. :)

I would also like to add that it would be greatly appreciated if my cat would go back to her normal, elusive self and stop creeping me out. Or I will feed her to Chad's Christmas present (please see the Preppy Haze blog).
er............um...........hmmmm.......I will do no such thing.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, you are such a tropper. I would be feeling the same way, I convince myself of things all of the time...

    Oh, and no problem about Kitty. Mr. Sparkles will gladly take care of that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this and funny b/c a friend of mine goes to the office you go to...she's the one that told Jessica about them. Anyways, on Saturday she was telling me how she refused to see the N.P.'s because she didn't like them and they didn't deliver babies anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete