Friday, September 11, 2009

Football Season in the South

It's only my favorite time of year. The weather starts to cool off. Saturday's are filled with friends, football and fantastic food. Every year our tickets come in the mail, we reserve our tailgate spot for yet another year, and begin dreaming of that first home game. There is nothing like that first one. Stepping into Sanford Stadium, mixing into the sea of red and black, watching great clips of games past while listening to the glorious voice of Larry Munson and getting ready to yell Goooooooooo Dawgs, Sic Em!!!

And tomorrow is it!!!!!

Only I am too pregnant to enjoy it. That's right, after hours of debate, I have given my ticket away. What?!?!?!?!? I am sure you are thinking WTF! I mean, I know I am. Who does such a thing. So let me describe the painful details that led to my tragic decision.

First, there is the fact that, while normally I couldn't head off to Athens early enough, Chris and his family are leaving at 10am. 10am? you say. That's late! Yes, it would seem, except the game isn't until 7:30. That's right, 9 1/2 hours of tailgating.

What's wrong with that? you may ask now.

Again..normally nothing. Only I am so pregnant that sitting outside for 10 hours before standing for 3 in the game sounds painfully miserable to me. Swollen ankles that would follow that could not be described.

And then there is the little issue of the weather. How is it that today was 77 and overcast, while tomorrow is supposed to be 88, sunny and nary a cloud in the sky. You may read this and say, it's only supposed to be 81 tomorrow. You are correct. If you are planning on staying in Atlanta. However, if you would like to travel to the Holy Town that is Athens on a Fall Saturday, you will find that somehow it is miraculously going to be 7 degrees hotter 30 miles up the road.

And then there is my favorite tailgating past time- Bacardi and Dr. Pepper. Clearly there will be none of that.

So, while I have been a pretty pleasant pregnant woman for the last 36 weeks, tonight I am positively pissed, devastatingly disappointed, and prepping myself for a Saturday of sitting at home watching the game by myself. Happy freaking fall, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud... the first part is so cheerful and even made me want to find some red and black and head to my old stomping grounds.... the second part reminds us that you are indeed having a baby and have limitations... that last sentence, complete 180 from the beginning. Thanks for the giggle. Oh, and I will be on my couch, too... feel free to call and tell me about the game, I am good at acting like I understand! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that was so hilarious! You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete