Monday, June 21, 2010

Size 8........a plus size?

So I saw this really unflattering picture of myself from a party I went to on Saturday. It was terrible. In fact, I wanted to cry, because while I thought I was actually looking alright, this picture made me look huge. Anyway, I decided to google search women who are a size 8, my current size, and see if it is just me being way too critical of myself. That was when I came across this:

http://blessingsfromabove2.blogspot.com/2009/08/womens-size-8-new-plus-size.html

It did put things in perspective. Why is it so hard to stop obsessing about weight and start being thankful for what we have?

I have an amazing husband who loves me no matter what. He loved me when I was 135. He loved me when I was 187. And he loved me when I was pregnant and gave birth at 207. And he loves me now at 160.

I have a beautiful daughter. She doesn't know what size I am. She doesn't know how much I weigh. All she knows is my voice and my face, and to her, I am just mom.

So today I am turning over new leaf. I will work to be healthy, but not skinny. I will try to complain less about being unhappy with my weight. Starting today I will start finding something to complement myself on each day. Because, lets be honest, if the world thinks size 8 is a plus size, then its no wonder women have such poor self image.

I say it is time we take a stand, and start feeling better about ourselves. I don't want my daughter growing up believing that the only way to feel good about herself is to be a size 4.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister... I agree. I also will turn over a leaf of this sort. As for the article, I will drink to this, and perhaps chase it with a bowl of delicious ice cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! It's ridiculous! I've lost weight since my surgery but still can't even fit in a size 8...and maybe I never will, the more I lose, the more extra skin shows up. :) I was thinking the same thing the other day...forget the weight,forget the size,and just be healthy and happy. I think you look wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete